Salt & Sundry is looking for a shop manager to help lead our team at our new Bethesda Row pop-up this summer!
The key responsibilities of the Shop Manager are to oversee the day-to-do operations at the shops and create a warm + hospitable shop experience for both customers + staff. The shop manager is responsible for welcoming customers into the shop, overseeing shop associates, completing tasks delegated by the shop director + creative team, and setting the tone for positivity, productivity and efficiency. The shop manager is also responsible for maintaining the desired shop aesthetic (merchandising upkeep, enforcing cleaning standards). These responsibilities are outlined below:
Leadership + Management
- Set the example for positivity, professionalism, and work ethic among team
- Create an environment of warmth + hospitality for team members and customers
- Foster an environment that’s calm, supportive and non-reactionary
- Create goals for service + sales based on data and communicates them clearly to shop team
- Provide clear, constructive + positive feedback in a timely manner to facilitate employee growth
- Delegate daily tasks clearly to shop team at the beginning of each day
- Support Assistant Shop Director in all aspects of HR
HR + Team Culture
- Show kindness, respect and charitable assumption towards coworkers on and off the shop floor.
- Develop + maintain a vast knowledge of all the products we carry and uses it to train team members on how to learn + sell
- Play to employee strengths and creates opportunities for their growth Treat and communicate shop responsibilities + action items as a collective goal
- Create a culture of positive morale + support among team members through consistent leadership, positive feedback + regular team events
- Work with Assistant Shop Director to maintain positive team growth and culture
Shop Experience + Customer Service
- Exemplify + fosters a welcoming, positive and service-focused shop environment through communication, body language + attitude
- Show customers kindness, respect and charitable assumption on and off the shop floor.
- Clearly communicate customer service information and requests across the team to ensure no balls are dropped
- Actively work towards reaching sales goals by leading team with clear customer service expectations through training, leadership and sales strategies
- Ensure prompt + polite customer follow-up communication on product requests for back in stock items, special order requests and complaints or issues
- Assist in planning + executing customer service perks + experiences + events on a regular, recurring basis
- Oversee + execute shop events with team from start to finish
Space Management + Visual Merchandising
- Regularly incorporate new products + changes shop displays to keep merchandising fresh and encourage sales
- Assist with strategizing, scheduling and executing seasonal window display changes with the help of the creative team
- Maintain a clean, organized + welcoming storefront, shop floor and back of house environment for team + customers
- Oversee and assist with the completion of regular shop cleaning to create a pristine and welcoming shop environment for customers
- Identify + address shop housekeeping issues to promptly reach a solution or contract the appropriate repair people to assist
- Help assistant shop director to ensure shop is adequately staffed with necessary supplies and regularly communicates these needs to operations team
- Identify opportunities to improve operations and shop procedures and develops new systems to address them
- Regularly assess inventory needs and relays them to the operations team.
- Provide constructive feedback to operations team around transfers and inventory levels. Use data + inventory management tools to ensure all products are represented on the shop floor at all times
- Oversee and assist with weekly product transfers.
- Communicate with leadership team regularly and thoroughly through shift reports to keep them informed about shop happenings, HR, etc.
- Communicate goals and expectations to team members clearly and directly
- Exemplify shop culture by keeping communication calm, non-reactionary, honest and constructive at all times
- Ask for support from the assistant shop director when needed. Keep communication open and regular with operations team to ensure product + supply needs are met
Requirements and Position Details
- Full-time position paid at a competitive hourly rate commensurate with experience (40 hrs/week)
- This is a temporary position for the duration of our pop-up from July 2021 through February 2022 with the potential to remain on the team based on performance.
- Flexible availability + commitment to working evenings, weekends and holidays a must
- Experience in customer service required Scheduling expectations: 5-6 weekend shifts / month; back up Assistant Shop Director to manage call outs / scheduling conflicts